Sunday, June 17, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 10

Behind the scenes is in California for a second week in a row!



Name: Hannah
 
Age: 41
 
Occupation: owner/designer/screenprinter/patternmaker/seamstress/etc at Made with Love by Hannah (madewithlovebyhannah.com)
 
 

Tell us a little about yourself.
 
I live in sunny Los Angeles with 2 cats, a fish and a bunny. I love cute knick knacks.
 

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
 
I always liked making things. I started Made with Love by Hannah in 2004, and have been doing it full time for about 7 years now. I started my website before Etsy was born, but I've been buying there since it launched and started selling there in 2007. At first I just sold my knick knack art there, then later added the skirts and tees.


How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
 
Everything is made with love! By me! I was thinking of those corny 'made with love by Grandma' labels you can buy at the fabric store. I'm a little corny myself.
 



How would you describe your creative process?
 
Usually when I come up with an idea I'll sketch it out right away, so I don't forget. Then I let it simmer until I get a chance to make the actual artwork for it, figure out what style garment I want to put it on, how many colors, how many colorways, what material I want to use. Once I figure that stuff out it's pretty smooth sailing in terms of making it into a finished piece of clothing.
 

Where do you get your inspiration from?
 
Cute knick knacks (my Schwarzwalder Skirt and Dutch Treat Skirt are drawings based on some of my knick knacks), miniature golf courses (which are really just like a bunch of giant knick knacks, if you ask me) and old kitchen textiles like dish towel, apron and tablecloth prints. I am also inspired by traditional folk handicrafts and fairytales/folklore.
 
 
Do you also sell your work at craft shows?
 
No, everything is pretty much made to order so I don't usually have enough pre-made stock on hand to do shows.
 
 
What is your most cherished handmade item?
 
My great-aunt gave me a tablecloth that she embroidered when was 12 or 13. It's pretty amazing.
 

Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
 
These days mostly working on the house, or working on the cars, or working in the yard. I know it sounds like all work and no play around here, it kinda is, but I like it that way.
















































If you weren’t an artist, what would you be and why?
 
A handyman. I like fixing old stuff.
 

Five years from now you will be…
 
Doing the same thing, hopefully in a little more streamlined manner. I definitely work more efficiently now than I did 5 years ago, but still could use improvement. I would also like to print fabric to sell by the yard, but don't have the space for setting it up now. Hopefully within the next 5 years I will be able to do that.
 

Describe yourself in five words:
 
hard working/lazy, happy/cranky!
 
 

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
 
I've been listening to the 'Girls in the Garage' compilations pretty much non-stop lately.
 
 
Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
 
Make what you love, it shows. And if you love what you make, don't be afraid to put it out there!
 
 


 
Fun & Sassy Handcrafted Clothing!