Thursday, June 13, 2013

the truths behind the long words...

Lately I have been having a lot of doubts and stress about my business. How difficult things can be when you get down and begin to worry about every little thing and allow the stress to wash over your entire being.


I started noticing myself becoming envious of other businesses having success and beginning to take off. I started to question, "What's wrong with me? What am I doing wrong?"

I was so excited to share many different opportunities that were expressed to me, but then just simply fell through. One of which was Anthropologie. They reached out to me in January, I was simply shocked and amazed. I didn't want to share anything because I didn't want to jinx the potential. But I guess it didn't matter because it fell through anyway. I honestly cannot tell you why, or what happened. The woman that reached out to me, simply just never got back to me after I sent her over 100$ worth of products. I tried reaching back out to her...but silence. This has happened on a few different business ventures that I was really looking forward to. Each time it happened, I just kept my chin up saying, "Something better must be coming along"

I think there is only so much rejection you can take before it starts to really affect your outlook. I noticed my attitude started to seem very negative due to the stress. Mind you, the stress is not only business related - there are personal issues going on as well. It just became overwhelming. I look at my business and think, I want to make this work - I need to make this work, why isn't it working?! 

One of my biggest concerns is with the consumers. Business owners slap labels on their products like "Vegan", "Green" and "low impact" so it has the consumer feel as though they are buying this amazing eco-friendly product. All the while they still use ingredients such as "triethanolamine lauryl sulfate" and "cocamide DEA" in their products - both of which are known carcinogens. 

I am not here to preach to you all about what to use on your skin, lips and hair. But I know why I started my company. That was to create products with truly all natural, fair trade and organic ingredients. My message to you is read ALL ingredients before purchasing any product. If there are words you cannot pronounce or that someone needs to explain to you why they are putting it in their products- more than likely they are evil chemicals that you should not be putting anywhere near your skin. 

So while my business may be slower than I would like right now, I know it's just because the right opportunity has not come along. But I can still hold my head up high at the end of the day and know that the products I am putting out into the marketplace are completely safe and good for your skin and body. And that alone, will allow me to sleep at night. Here's to a positive attitude and outlook on what is in store for us.