Wednesday, October 09, 2013

wiw vol 38 - The Shining

This weeks installment of horror movies is one of my all time favorites...


Storyline

A man, his son and wife become the winter caretakers of an isolated hotel where Danny, the son, sees disturbing visions of the hotel's past using a telepathic gift known as "The Shining". The father, Jack Torrance, is underway in a writing project when he slowly slips into insanity as a result of cabin fever and former guests of the hotel's ghosts. After being convinced by a waiter's ghost to "correct" the family, Jack goes completely insane. The only thing that can save Danny and his mother is "The Shining". 


This is one movie that you can watch over and over again and see new things every time you watch it. The first time I watched it I was in middle school and was completely freaked out and had nightmares for weeks. It's just such a creepy movie. 

There is actually a movie on Netflix right now called Room 237 that discusses five different view points and "hidden meanings" within the Shining. I tried to watch it, it was terrible. I'm not a fan of people trying to force their viewpoints and what they think a movie is meant to mean. I'm not saying that directors and writers don't point in hidden messages, but some people take it too far and break the smallest things apart. Personally, it drives me batty when people do this. I watched about 20 minutes of the movie and had to shut it off. Honestly I don't even know why I watched it that long. Uck! Garbage!

But The Shining. A classic. If you have never watched it, it is a must watch in movie history. And if you have watched it, its that time of year to watch it again!