Thursday, September 05, 2013

Concord Grape Pie

Last week the mister bartered some soap for some potatoes and concord grapes at the market. Which lead me to baking up a concord grape pie on Sunday.

I have never had a grape pie before, I never even really heard of making one until the mister mentioned it. I think it may be a New England thing (and also Northern California thing).. But now that I have made it. Holy mother was it amazing! It tasted like grape juice in a pie.




CONCORD GRAPE PIE:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb(4 cups) concord grapes
1 csugar
1/3 cflour
1/4 tspsalt
1 Tbsplemon juice
2 Tbspbutter, melted
19-inch unbaked pastry shell
Crumbles:
1/2 cflour
1/2 csugar
1/4 cbutter



Directions:

Slip skins from the grapes. (This is actually really easy - they just "pop" right out). Place skins in one bowl and the pulp in another. 


Bring the pulp to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes (uncovered). Sieve to remove seeds. Add the skins, sugar, flour and salt and melted butter. (I actually added more flour, almost another 1/3 cup because it was SO watery and I was really worried that it wouldn't thicken). 

Pour into a unbaked 9" pie shell (I actually had one left over from my mini peach pies I was making, so it saved me from making more crust). Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

While that is baking, make the crumbles. 

Sift the flour and sugar together, cutting in the butter until it is crumbly.

Sprinkle on top of the pie and bake for another 15 minutes.

So amazingly yummy!! You have to make this up if you are able to get your hands on some concord grapes.