Sunday, July 29, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 15

This week behind the scenes travels to Ohio by way of Uzbekistan







Name: Dinara Mirtalipova
Age: 29
Occupation: Artist
Etsy Shop: mirdinara.etsy.com


Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm an Uzbek girl, a mom, a wife who also happen to be an artist. I never believed I was one until I started a blog (mirdinara.blogspot.com) and my etsy shop.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy? 

I have been creating my whole life, my mom taught me how to sew and stitch, and I have been a doodler ever since I remember myself. I opened my Etsy in 2007 just as a joke. I snapped  a few pictures of my first product and uploaded to see what's gonna happen. And ever since it has been happening, I'm very glad people are stopping by my shop to support what I do. 


How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?

Back in high school it was my first attempted to open my very first e-mail box (yeah, I come from that time). I had to register my name and I realized it was already taken. (surprise, ha?! :))) So I just simply combined the beginning of my last name ( the first three letters) along with my first name. Ever since then it became my online nickname. So when I opened my etsy it was no doubt it would be named so.

How would you describe your creative process?

I would say it is very impulsive. My creativity comes and goes in waves. There would be time when I feel so blank and unmotivated. During that period I go to bed very early and catch my long sleep. But then, there is time when I feel extremely hyper about all kinds of different projects and ideas. I would be eager to try new methods and read and look and browse and learn. I might skip sleep a few nights in a row and become a zombie. Even  when I try to sleep I can't because it becomes so loud in my head and during that period I make sure I carry an idea log with me no matter where I go. 


Where do you get your inspiration from?

I like simple things like personal childhood memories, music, colors. I get overwhelmed looking through magazine pages, that's why I tend not to go to pretty shops and galleries. The inspiration comes from the inside. It usually happens when I'm trying to sleep and my brain is relaxed, then BOOM! I think of something and I get up to write it down otherwise I will lose that string when I wake up in the morning. 

Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?

I like to travel and visiting new places. I love love love taking pictures of beautiful places and beautiful people. I love playing with my daughter and dancing with her :) And of course sometimes I just simply love to not do anything at all and just let myself be a couch potato :))



If you weren’t an artist, what would you be and why?

I tried that. I never believed being an artist is a serious profession. I always claimed it was just my hobby. I tried so hard to not become one. After I graduated from high school I went to the University of Economics in Uzbekistan (where I'm from) to study Cybernetics. I graduated with honors, but found myself doing what I LOVE to do instead. So I guess I failed to not to be an artist.

Five years from now you will be…

Hopefully I will still be here making and selling things.



Describe yourself in five words:

Curious, spontaneous, passionate, happy and loving 

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?

Just open it and don't over think it. Don't wait for a special day until you design your perfect banner or shoot nice photos. Just open is and start living. Things will get adjusted as you go and as you grow. And everything comes with experience.