Sunday, April 07, 2013

Buy Handmade vol 54

This week we head to Chicago..I can not even explain how smitten I am with her work.




Name: Emily Haworth
Age: 24 
Occupation: Freelance Illustrator and Jewelry Maker
Etsy: By Beep

Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Emily Haworth and I am a Freelance Illustrator and Jewelry Maker based in Chicago, Illinois. I spend the majority of my day creating, and my free-time is known for its simplicity.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
Drawing has always been a part of my life, but jewelry-making began to intrigue me during my late teens. My jewelry became more refined and consistent in my early twenties, and I realized that Etsy would be a good avenue to begin selling it. I have been with Etsy for a little over four months now, and it has been a great experience.

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
Beep is a nickname that was given to me when I was a toddler because of the animated noises I would make. The noises eventually subsided, but the name held. When it came time to name my shop I thought "By Beep" somehow felt like a perfect fit.

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?
I actually have two full-time jobs, and By Beep is one of them. I am also a Freelance Illustrator. After my morning walk, I come home and put an equal amount of time into both jobs. It is weird calling it a job though, I would be living this lifestyle anyway. 

How would you describe your creative process?
My creative process can be a little chaotic in the early stages of a new project but becomes more refined and organized once I solve the layout and details. After that, I can relax and enjoy making a piece of work come to life.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I get inspired by many things, but when it comes to my own work I don't necessarily look to anyone, or anything, for inspiration- I try to stay as genuine to myself and my vision as I can.

Separate from my art, I am greatly inspired by the children's books that were read to me when I was a child. I had bookcases full of them. The illustrations in these books move me in a way I cannot quite explain. I think that is why my work tends to have a whimsical look- I connect with that kind of style. 

Do you also sell your work at craft shows? 

No, but I do plan on selling at local craft shows this summer.

What is your most cherished handmade item?
My baby blanket, which was handmade and designed by my grandmother. Everyone, including my grandmother, thinks it is absolutely hideous, but I think it radiates greatness. Plus, I feel a sense of pride knowing that I am, most likely, the only person in the world that owns an overly happy hen blanket. 


Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
I enjoy traveling (especially to remote locations), hiking, writing rhymes and reading, eating out, farmers-markets, cooking and baking, learning, day-dreaming, plays and short films, and new to my list- gardening.

I appreciate simplicity and peace when it comes to my life outside of art because my work tends to be very detailed and time-consuming. Having that balance is important to me.  

If you weren’t an artist, what would you be and why?
If I had taken a few different steps in life, I would be doing set design or concept work for fantasy-based films. This type of work has always intrigued me. When I was a child I would never pay attention to what the characters in movies were saying- I was only focused on how the backgrounds were made, how the color palate enhanced the overall mood of a scene, and how the characters tied into the movie's theme. This was my way of learning with everything as a child, which I was told was wrong, but it definitely made me into the artist I am today.

Five years from now you will be…

Life takes you down paths of many twists and turns which you would never imagine traveling, so, to a certain extent, I don't try to plan my future in strict detail. I know I would like to have a children's book published by then, I will still be creating art and jewelry- just doing bigger things with it, and traveling more. 

Describe yourself in five words:

Introverted, observant, creative, comical, and striving.

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your iTunes, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?

Mazzy Star- Fade Into You.
As The Stars Fall- Artificial Sun.
Danny Elfman- The Ice Dance.
Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees. 
Deftones- The Chauffeur

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?

I cannot say much for craft shows, but I can for future shop owners. One thing to keep in mind before opening up a shop is that you will have more than one job title, so take the time to understand what is expected of you. In my opinion, the best way to go about this is to read articles, call people and ask questions, understand your taxes, get your business license, set up a business account, understand your brand and market, etc. There is a lot of information out there free to you, so go into it wise and ready. It will be intimidating at first, but with every step taken, every bit of knowledge gleaned, you will become more and more confident.