Sunday, April 07, 2013

In need of some advice..



I'm in a bit of a pickle. I had this big idea in my head that I wanted to offer smaller sized bars of soap - for samplers and then also travel/guest sizes.

I've already made sampler sized bars - I have a special mold for them. I made all my clay bars using these molds. But I'm not 100% happy with how the bars turn out. They don't come out completely even. So I then thought, what if I use my regular sized molds but cut the soaps differently.

The adventure/ guest sized bars would be the same height/width of my current bars, but they would be thinner. Current bars are 7/8" these would be 1/2" - so they would be just a touch more than half the size - My normal bars are roughly 4 - 4.2 ounces, these are turning out to be roughly 2.4-2.5 ounces.

Others are selling "guest bars" - with theirs usually being 1.6-2.0 ounces and selling them for $4 a piece. (Mine would be larger, and cheaper or the same price)

(adventure/travel/guest bars)

As for samplers - I wanted to do a small sized, they wouldn't be sold individually - they would be sold in groups ( 5, 10, 12 something to that effect) So that you an really get a sample of my soaps.

This would also be the size that I would like to offer for weddings/ showers/ events etc - in which I would sell them in groups of like 50 - 100 - 125+ etc (these would be a little more expensive because I would also offer custom packaging and would be made to order)

(samplers)


So I'm asking your input. What do you think? Its a massive undertaking (and really costly) to make new products if they are just not going to go over well.

I already cut up one entire "loaf" of soap and wrecked it because the size wasn't coming out right, so I basically lost out on $80 of product screwing around with the sizes.  I've had lots of stress today trying to get the bars to be the right size, I hate my soap cutter! So before I cut up any more I need some advice for you all as to what you are looking for and what you would actually purchase.

Please fill out the form below and let me know your thoughts. (The sooner the better please!) I have 4 more loafs that I need to cut asap =)