Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Individual Peach Pie...


So the idea for these babies came from here but when I was at the market, no one had any honey comb so I bought some local honey. I also am a little bit of a "crust snob" and never go the easy route with premade crust, only homemade for us. And I could not resist adding some icing to make them feel more like the hostess pies I had when I was growing up. (Man, I know those things are loaded with bad stuff - but they are just so darn delicious!)

So if you want to make my version, here it is:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

Ingredients
Fresh peaches (we got white peaches from the farmer's market)
Honey 
Pie Crust 
Milk
Powdered Sugar


Pie crust (via Martha Stewart November 2012 issue):
2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces and divided
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup ice water

1. Lay out three quarters of the cubed butter pieces on parchment and freeze until hard, at least 30 minutes. Take the remaining butter and refrigerate.

2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add refrigerated butter and pulse to combine, roughly 10 times. Add frozen butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some blueberry sized clumps.

3. Add ice water, immediately pulse until water is just incorporated, about 10 times. Squeeze a small amount of dough to make sure it holds together.

4. Lay out 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Empty 1/2 the dough onto each piece. Bring the edges of wrap together to gather the dough. Press into disks.

5. Roll out the disks, still wrapped in plastic, to 1/2" thick rounds (8"). Refrigerate at least 45 minutes and up to 2 days. (dough can be frozen for up to one month)




I only used one of the rounds, the other is in my freezer for next time. Or you can use both if you have a large family, or well don't want them to be gone the first day you make them!

Next Steps:

Cut the peaches in half and dig out the pit. In one side of the peach, fill with honey. Place the sides back together and wrap in dough. I took my round, rolled it out and cut into four pieces - I'm sure if I rolled it even thinner I could have easily gotten 5 pieces to wrap.

I wrapped each peach. Placed them in a muffin tin and then took a little bit of milk and washed the tops with the milk. Cut a few small slits in each top and bake for 15-17 minutes until golden.

ICING:

Take 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of milk and stir.

Once your pies are out of the oven and cooled, drench (or drizzle) in icing.