Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Food Fight


2008 - Documentary - 71 minutes
(streaming Netflix)

Story Line:
Discover the disturbing problems inherent in today's food system with this insightful documentary, which profiles chef Alice Waters's efforts to promote local, organic and sustainable agriculture as a delicious alternative to mass-produced fare.

"Food Fight is a fascinating look at how American agricultural policy and food culture developed in the twentieth century, and how the California food movement has created a counter revolution against big agribusinesses" -  food fight (check out their website - lots of good info)





K and I watch a lot of documentaries that revolve around our food system and environment. This was definitely another one to add to the list of inspiring movies to watch. The food system in this country is just plain disgusting. I am definitely not saying I am a saint. I eat bad processed foods, which I really really know I shouldn't. During the summer months and once our local farmer's market starts up we eat so much better. I really wish we lived in a climate in which I could frequent farmer's markets year around for local foods. But living in central NY I do not have that luxury. Well, I shouldn't say that. There is an all year round market that we found, but to be honest it sucks. It's no different than going to your local grocery store. There is nothing local sold there, they are selling only imports. So we wait. May 5th can not come soon enough!!

So if you have some spare time and want to be inspired to shop local, check this movie out now!