Wednesday, April 24, 2013

wiw vol 17 - Gasland


2010 - NR - 1 hour 42 minutes
Streaming Netflix

Storyline

It is happening all across America-rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called "fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower.


Last fall is when I first starting seeing "No Fracking" signs all around my town and in neighboring towns. I had no idea what it was. The mister explained it to me and it sounded terrible. But it wasn't until I saw this documentary that I saw exactly how horrible and how much devastation fracking causes. 
The extremely scary thing is that I live in an area where they want to do this. This could potentially affect me personally, up close and personal. They are trying to ban it, and some local neighboring counties have been successful but it still worries me. Worries me that these people think that there is nothing wrong with fracking. That it is somehow all in our heads that it is bad or has any negatives. 
Again, just like most things that are causing harm to our environment, it boils down to how much money is pouring into someones pocket. Which is truly sad.
I went here to send a letter to the Governor of NY urging him to stay away from fracking in our state. Only time will tell. Do you live in an area where fracking exists? Have you seen first hand accounts of what this can do to communities? If you do, please share - and share if you are involved in trying to get them to stop in your community.
If you aren't aware of what fracking is, and its dangers please watch this documentary. It's another eye opener in the realities of how humans are killing our planet and resources.