Wednesday, January 08, 2014

wiw vol 44 Ping Pong


2012 - 80 minutes - NR
Streaming Netflix

Storyline

8 players with 703 years between them compete in the World over 80s Table Tennis Championships in Inner Mongolia. Terry (81) having been given a week to live, gets in sight of winning gold. Inge (89) has used table tennis to train her way out of the dementia ward she committed herself to. Australian legend Dorothy deLow is 100, and finds herself a mega celebrity in this rarefied world and Texan Lisa Modlich, a new-comer at 85 years old, is determined to do whatever it takes to win her first gold. This film is as much about the tenacity of the human spirit as it is a meditation on mortality.


This documentary will have you rooting for your favorite 80+ year old favorite player, one woman is even 100 and still playing (she is actually now 102 and still battling it out)! I loved this movie. I could totally see myself in my 80's kicking ass and playing in the ping pong circuit. I think I have a new goal in life!