Monday, May 28, 2012

Bag It


2010 - Documentary - 79 minutes

Storyline

An average guy makes a resolution to stop using plastic bags at the grocery store. Little does he know that this simple decision will change his life completely. He comes to the conclusion that our consumptive use of plastic has finally caught up to us, and looks at what we can do about it. Today. Right now.


I watched this documentary a few months ago now and have been thinking about making up some sort of online petition. I'm going to think more about how to do what I want to do with this project, but wanted to get this post up and don't want to wait any longer.

This is one of my favorite documentaries about the environment and the impact plastic has had on our environment. When I started watching the movie, I thought it was just going to be about plastic bags but they really expand on all plastics. Plastic bags are evil and useless. I never take a plastic bag when a shop offers them. I have my own heavy duty canvas bags that I take with me everywhere. But there have been times where we may have to stop and pick something up, I will leave the store, receipt in hand, trying to balance my goods without dropping anything while the cashier and other shoppers give me dirty looks. Why? Why should I be getting a surprised look why I refuse plastic? I would LOVE if they charged people to have to use a plastic bag. Some states and cities have implemented this and it just makes me sick to think that there have been places that have tried and failed due to lack of support or the plastics industry winning. How?! Why?! Are people really that lazy that they can not invest a very little investment into reusable bags? 
I'm not trying to be on a high horse here, but it really does make me angry and I would tell this to anyone in person as well. Get off your ass, buy or make a canvas or reusable bag and REFUSE to take a plastic bag. It's simply that SIMPLE. I don't want to hear the lame excuses of " Well I have them but always forget them when I go shopping". Then keep them in your car if you are that forgetful! Keep one folded up in your purse. My mom even got me a small one that folds inside itself and is this teeny tiny pocket that can fit anywhere, but opens to be a decent sized bag. 
I don't want to hear any excuses. None. So just zip it now! The planet can't handle to have any more lame excuses. Yes, I may sound a little harsh. But I am passionate about this and get fired up really easily about this topic. Try to cut down on all your plastic usage, or at lease be knowledgeable about what the product is doing to our plant and animal life the next time you are looking to buy a plastic item, encased in more packaging plastic.
While I feel very passionate about many documentaries I watch, I think I feel the strongest about this one. So, if you do one thing for me ... watch this move this week. It's on streaming Netflix and is less than an hour and a half of your day. My hopes is that if you don't already realize what plastics do, that you will come away open minded and really think before accepting that plastic bag for that one (or ten) items the next time you go to a shop. If you don't have a usable bag with you, tough luck USE YOUR HANDS. (and yes! I'm yelling at you until you all get on board and get these shops to start small and boycott those damn things!!) 
Okay, sorry. I'm calm now and won't lecture anymore. But seriously, please think before you accept the plastic! Now go. Sew a canvas bag or buy one. You can get them anywhere for very cheap.