Sunday, May 13, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 5

Behind the Scenes this week brings you:


Name: Stacie Bloomfield
Age: 26
Occupation: Illustrator


Tell us about yourself:
My name is Stacie. I live in Springdale, Arkansas. I am a married to a mathematician and have two daughters.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
I have been drawing since I can remember! All I have ever wanted to do was be an artist. My degree is in art. I started selling on Etsy in 2009.


Where do you get your inspiration from?
I am often inspired by color and pattern. A great inspiration is to look at clothing trends and magazines. Also, nature is a huge inspiration. I love the color of spring flowers and fall leaves.



How would you describe your creative process?
I am a doodler. Pretty much I am always drawing, and often a doodle will turn into an inspiration for a print. Then I redraw the doodle, scan it in, then color it digitally.

Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
I spend most of my time with my family. So taking care of them is a joy. I also like to upholster furniture, cook and watch too much t.v.


What is your most cherished handmade item?
I love a colorful afghan made by my grandmother. The colors are so bright, and knowing that it was a lovingly made by my grandma makes it even more special. 


Where do you see yourself in five years?
I hope to see the business grow a bit. I would like to venture into different mediums, such as fabric design, rubber stamps and stationary.




Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about starting their own shop?
You have to believe in your product. Love it. Stand behind it. Being passionate about what you are making is the first step to having a successful business/shop.