Wednesday, May 09, 2012

gw vol 4... well not quite

This has been a very weird week. Moments of being completely okay, and then moments of sadness and reflecting. We've gotten through the calling hours and funeral, K and I continue to share the "remember when" stories. I am not a religious person, but the service was beautiful. She was a pastor and touched so many people's lives. Hundreds and hundreds and more hundreds showed up for calling hours and then all the pastors from around central NY came today for the service. I have never seen anything like it. They kept it down to earth and many shared some wonderful stories, lots of singing and even some balloons. It was a perfect send off for her, and was so evident of how many people she truly touched. She will be greatly missed.

So some deep breaths, tears and lots of quiet moments later and our lives will go on. I'm not going to do a post full of garden updates and all that today. (I'm sorry) But I really do promise that next week I will be back on track and promised posts will be up and back to normal. I have decided to make some changes as well. Yes, I make lots of changes - hey the title says it all, I really am very indecisive. But I think this change will be for the best...

So here it is..

nice and blunt..

I have decided to nix the Monday - vintage posts, at least for right now. 

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately about whats important to me and what I want to say as a person. Not just here on my blog - but just my life in general. What is my message? What am I passionate about? Well..I'll tell you! I absolutely love vintage - I have been going to antique shops since I was a tiny little human holding onto my parents pant legs. But I don't feel like me posting pictures of pretty things I like or even giving you the history of different things I like really does anything. I really hope this doesn't upset anyone. There are A LOT of great and beautiful blogs that really devote their blog to vintage. I read many daily, and will continue to read them daily,  and am inspired by their posts and lovely images. But I just think that, for me, it doesn't necessarily fit what I want to say at this time.

While vintage a big part of my life, and always will be. I just think it's time to do away with it. To me, it felt forced and some weeks I was almost annoyed to have to search to come up with a post. THAT is when you know, it's time to do away with it. I hope I don't loose any of you as readers because of this, but if you leave well..there is nothing I can do about that except say, please don't go! I have amazing things to say other than just flashing up some pretty pictures once a week. And hey, I'm sure that my friday posts will usually have at least one thing that is vintage and beautiful. 

So you may be asking yourself, "well, where is she going to be taking us now?" And again, I will tell you. The past few weeks I have been working and researching til all hours of the night in an anticipation for possibly a new business. I business that I am extremely passionate about, and hope you will be too. 

An all organic, free trade herbal business. I will be making face creams, hand & body creams, lip balms, salves, sunscreen, bug spray, bites and stings spray, face cleanser, face toner, body wash and bar soaps. Pretty great huh? 

K and I have been adapting a new lifestyle that we have been easing ourselves into for a while now. First we did away with all unnecessary plastics in our household. We only use (vintage!) pyrex to store foods and left overs. No more plastic little containers with annoying lids you can never find. We also have been using our own cloth bags to get groceries for quite a few years. If we forget the bags - I tell the checkout person, NO BAG, I'm good! and I haul away my goodies in my arms. We also have been making the switch to eating local and fresh. This started last year. Our weekly Farmer's market adventures (my favorite day of the week) We also are creating our own veggie and herb gardens, and next year K will have bee hives. So with these changes - I wanted to go a step further. After watching even more documentaries on the health and environmental effects of chemicals in household and personal cleaners - I knew this was naturally (no pun intended) the next step for us. All our chemical cleaners have been removed from our house. I posted this a few weeks ago with many recipes to make your own natural cleaners. So after removing those cleaners..next step is getting rid of what we put on our bodies. 

I never want to come off as preachy. You can all do what you want, but I would like to use this space to maybe inspire others that it isnt as hard as you may think to make a change. Your health will be improved, as well as our planet's health. 

So I'm here to make a change, in my life and maybe in others lives. I'm here to say do what you want to do and do what makes you happy. Write a blog, start that business you have always been dreaming of, write a novel, learn a new craft, take adventures, live your life. It goes by way to fast to sit and say, I wish I would have done x, y z. I'm here to tell you, go DO x, y,z what do you have to lose?