Sunday, July 15, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 14

This week we head to Ohio..









Name: Hyein Oswald
Age: 41
Occupation: mother and sewing lover


Tell us a little about yourself. 

My name is Hyein and I was born and raised in Seoul, Korea.  I moved to Ohio when I was a teenager and am now married and have two wonderful kids and a dog name Rex.  I have always enjoyed creating things and I truly love making things for my Etsy store.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?  

Christina’s was opened in 2006 with my twin sister’s encouragement who just loves handmade creations.  Also, I just loved making things and I figured I would share what I already enjoyed doing.  It has been nearly six years now and I can’t stop!  It has been a blast.




How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?

I wanted to come up with a simple straightforward name.  Christina is my daughter’s name.  I thought it would be the perfect name and she got a kick out of naming the shop after her.

How would you describe your creative process? 

If I get an idea, I make a sketch of it as soon as I can.  I keep the sketch in a cup on my table and it sits until I think of a way to capture my idea. Sometimes it comes quickly.  Sometimes things sit for a while.  It all depends.  Then I make a few prototypes trying out different materials and concepts.  There are times that it just doesn’t work out.  Then others, things really come together. 



Where do you get your inspiration from? 

It was in the late 90’s.  I was a big fan of Martha Stewart.  I loved how she made everything look fabulous.  I decided to make at least one thing from her Living magazine every month.   I guess that did the trick.   I made things from bibs to blankets.  You name it. I made almost everything I could put my hands on. Now everything around me gives me an inspiration.  It made me a person who appreciates handmade items more than ever.

What is your most cherished handmade item? 

I think my most treasured items are the quilts I made for my children when they were little.  My son is a senior in High School now and he still has it at the foot of his bed.  I don’t sell quilts as they are very time consuming but I do enjoy making them when I can find the time.





Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?

I like to cook, go to flea markets, and take photos.  But I suppose they still involve creating.  I spend most of my free time trying out new ideas or creating something new.  I also started a blog about the same time I opened my Etsy shop.  I enjoy writing and displaying my photos there as well.

If you weren't an artist, what would you be and why?  

That is a tough one.  I truly am blessed and feel like I am truly doing what I love.




Five years from now you will be… 

I hope to still be creating things that people enjoy.

Describe yourself in five words:

determined, industrious, creative, keen, and silly.





Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your iPod, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?  

Adele, Fun., J.S. Bach, Damien Rice, and Five for Fighting.

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows? 

Do what you love and stick to it.  Also, don’t sell yourself short.  When I started selling on Etsy, I never would have thought that people would like my creations enough to buy them.  Now, 6 years later I am happy to know they do.