Monday, July 09, 2012

Market Mondays: The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

The market was a wash out this week. I had to work a few hours in the morning so we didn't get out there until 11:30. Because it was raining, not many vendors were there and many were packing up as we were walking around. I love going when it's raining though. It's so much more peaceful and we are still able to get the staples we need. 

We then stopped at a few antique shops (our weekly ritual) and came home. My afternoon was spent making lip balms. Let me just say.. I make one darn good lip balm! I seriously never wear anything on my lips (actually no makeup or anything at all) but I have always hated lip balms and lip stick. It's always just felt gross and thick? to me. I don't know how else to explain it. So immediately after putting it on, I would always wipe it right back off. But not with this stuff! I think I have cracked the code because this stuff is GOOD. This stuff I crave more. All the ingredients are organic and natural and I will be making the following "flavors" -
  1. Strawberry
  2. Vanilla
  3. Chocolate
  4. Cherry
  5. Peach
  6. Grape
  7. Watermelon
  8. Black Forest (this is a combination of cherry and chocolate to emulate my very favorite cake- Black Forest)
I then worked on the labels. I have everything down but the stupid labels, I can't get to print out right. Nothing lines up and I was lucky to get a few that actually looked decent. It was super frustrating. So I think I am just going to hire out and get them done. I was hoping to be able to print them myself until the shop was up and making a profit - then invest in nice labels. But.. I don't know. Packaging is a big thing with me so to send out something to a customer that isn't perfect..it would just kill me. It's a big investment to hire out for the labels but I think it's something that I need to do. I want to share my logo and all the work I've been putting into this project but I'm just not ready to share yet. I want to have my full line up done before I do the big reveal. But it's good..it's very, very good. I had things up in an Illustrator file and K had walked by and said to me that he was going to ask me what it was because he thought it was just something I had up of a professional company, and that I was looking at it for inspiration. He then realized it was mine. That made me feel really good. It's clean, it's simple and I think you all will like it.




The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gather together:

2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 Cup butter, melted
1 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup sugar
1 TBSP vanilla
1 Egg
1 Egg yolk
2 Cups chips

Combine:
Flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl

In your mixer cream butter, brown sugar and sugar. Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Mix in the dry ingredients in two portions. 

Stir/fold in chips. The brand of chips actually really does make a difference in the taste. I always use Ghirardelli. In the rare occasion the store is sold out, I go with Hershey dark chips. Call me a snob, but I will never use Nestle. I used to until I realized what a difference the chips make in the cookie. Nestle chips, to me, taste like chemicals. So don't be cheap! Spend the extra dollar and get the good chips! I use half a bag in this recipe and it's just the right amount.

Bake at 325 for 17-20 minutes. I use a small scoop that was my grammas to portion them.

I've used this recipe for many years but honestly don't remember where it came from. About five years ago I was on a hunt for "the best chocolate chip cookie" and this recipe has been my favorite ever since. I've tried many, many others (even posted one of them on here before) but this is just a quick recipe that makes one darn good cookie. K is spoiled because I usually make these up once a week. 

If you have a chocolate chip cookie recipe you think can compare with my "best chocolate chip cookie" recipe - please let me know. I'm always willing to try out new recipes.