Tuesday, January 29, 2013

tasty tuesday v. 4


On Sunday (my favorite baking day) I got out one of my favorite baking books, Rustic Fruit Desserts, and decided upon making Apple-Cranberry Crisp. If you don't own this baking book - go to Amazon, or your local book shop and buy it. It is a really great book, filled with such great recipes. 

So off to the market I went..only I couldn't find cranberries. While I was really bummed out. I figured an apple crisp is still very tasty - so I just bought some gala apples and called it a day.

As you will notice- the recipe and picture below show cranberries in the completed dish. Well - that would be because this beautiful photo is not mine. No..somehow all my pictures of my baking adventures are gone. wiped clean off my camera and computer?! I honestly have no clue what happened. But I'm bummed because some shots were pretty good and I was excited to share them with you all. I'm pretty sure not as good as the one below though. So I'm cheating, as it is now late, and dark in the house as I type this and no good shots ever come out of crappy lighting. Sorry guys. 

Believe me cranberries or no cranberries - this is one tasty crisp!



Apple-Cranberry Crisp (via Rustic Fruit Desserts)

1 cup (3 oz./90 g.) rolled oats
3/4 cup (3 oz./90 g.) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz./105 g.) firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup (1 1/3 oz./40 g.) chopped walnuts
1/3 cup (3 oz./90 g.) granulated sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
3 lb. (1.5 kg.) apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup (4 oz./125 g.) fresh or frozen cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and stir to mix well. Scatter in butter pieces. Using an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment on low speed, or with your fingertips, mix or rub in butter until uniform coarse crumbs form and mixture begins to come together. Stir in chopped walnuts.

In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and cornstarch until well blended. Add apples and cranberries and toss to coat and mix well. Pour fruit into a 9-inch (23-cm.) square or round baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with oat mixture.

Bake until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 50-60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let crisp rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 10.