Saturday, February 04, 2012

To live & ride in LA - 2010 (streaming Netflix)


Mister and I primarily watch documentaries. He used to race and ride bikes (upwards of 50miles per day) and I used to pretend to screw around on a bmx bike, back in the day until I got hurt and decided I didn't like seeing that much blood and skin on the pavement.
I now ride this this nice, cute safe bike K bought me for my birthday a few years ago .. (i have streamers for it too but havent gotten around to putting them on, I wanted a cute woven basket but you can't have one on the front because of the forks..boo!)

anyway, back to the movie - 

It follows a bunch of LA bike riders, whose bikes don't have breaks! Which freaked me out a little bit. My favorite guy was Herms, but that's because I was so envious of his ears. (mine are "only" 26mm, and his are definitely over an inch). It was a visually interesting movie but again - probably more-so for me because my husband was/is so much into bikes and I also have a few hardcore bike friends as well.

"For fixed-gear cyclists, Los Angeles is a city that has it all. From the neon glow of Hollywood to the sun-drenched boardwalk of Venice Beach, fixed-gear has evolved into a vibrant street culture that is uniquely L.A.

From director David Rowe (Fast Friday) comes a new documentary feature that explores a side of L.A. few outsiders have seen. From races through rush-hour traffic to midnight loft parties, To Live & Ride in L.A. is a fast paced-trip through the busy streets and back-alleys of one of the world's largest cities.

To Live & Ride in L.A. features talented local riders tearing up the streets with first-time visitor Keo Curry (Fast Friday, Macaframa) - one of the living legends of the sport. Bike to hidden spots off the map, race a midnight alley-cat, keep pace with the riders from Wolfpack, and hang with the local crews, graffiti artists and other L.A. personalities burning up the fixed-gear scene." 

I really liked it. I would try to give it a rating. but I don't really believe in rating movies. who is to say that our ideas of what makes a good movie are even remotely the same. But I say..in my opinion it's a definite "watch me" - (unlike "Straw Dogs" which we put in for 5 minutes tonight and shut off. Simply unwatchable in my book. blargh)