Sunday, November 11, 2012

Buy Handmade vol 31

This week Behind the scenes takes us to London, England


Name: Anke Weckmann
Age: 35
Occupation: Freelance Illustrator
Etsy Shophttp://Linotte.Etsy.com
Tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up in a small town in Northern Germany and moved to London in 2001.  These days I spend most of my time drawing, having cups of tea and listening to audiobooks.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?

I've always enjoyed drawing and making crafty things. I graduated from Kingston University in 2005 with a BA in Illustration and have been working freelance ever since. I started selling on Etsy in October 2007, so five years ago.


How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?

As an illustrator, my own name is my 'business name'. My Etsy shop is called 'Anke's Little Shop'.

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?

My full-time job is being a freelance illustrator and I mostly work on commissions for magazines, books, packaging, products etc. My Etsy shop is a small part of that and a great place to share personal work. I really enjoy it but I wouldn't want it to be the only thing I do.



How would you describe your creative process?

I am constantly drawing in my sketchbook and that's where I ideas usually are developed. And I keep scrapbooks with cut-outs from magazines. My final illustrations are drawn in ink on paper, scanned and then coloured on the computer.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

The trees outside my window, good food, long runs, cozy blankets, strange and funny words, photographs of faraway places, stories. Everything that interests me can somehow find its way into my work.


Do you also sell your work at craft shows?

I've done a few in the past, like the Bust Christmas Fair in London for example, but I don't have the time at the moment.

What is your most cherished handmade item?

All the drawings my fiance has made for me over the years.


Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?

I love running, making good food, yoga, going for long walks, reading and sleeping.

If you weren’t an artist, what would you be and why?

I would be utterly miserable. If I don't draw I get sad very quickly.



Five years from now you will be…

still drawing, married and hopefully travelling a lot.

Describe yourself in five words:

I
am
obsessed
with
drawing


Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your iPod, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?

Joanna Newsom - Colleen
Diane Birch - Fools
Flight Of The Conchords - If You're Into It
Horse Feathers - Working Poor
Oh Land - White Nights





Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?

Make your best work, always do your own thing and be patient.